Friday 17 January 2014

Before you say I do…… to Farming

 New Year 2014 greetings
It is mid-January and the hullabaloo of New Year greetings has died down. So has the depression of unmet New Year resolutions. The beauty of resolutions in my view, is that out of ten resolutions an average person will follow through with two or three. If you are disciplined enough you will be lucky to succeed in four or five. Nonetheless, I see resolution making as more of a ritual to uplift yourself and drive you to new limits. Making resolutions makes you prioritize on your goals. It gives you a sense of direction and that is what is important. Well, that is my long and winding way of saying Happy 2014, with the obvious omission of New Year. And perhaps telling you that it is okay to make resolutions on January 1st and break plenty of them by January 10th.

Sweet tales of agribusiness
Back to agribusiness, the focus of this blog, there are several young people getting lured into agriculture as a source of stable income. A substantial number of graduates are now finding agribusiness to be an exciting career choice. Agribusiness is currently a hot venture, no dispute.  Bloggers, myself included, have taken to the internet to make agriculture sound even sexier. The truth is that agribusiness has an attractive bottom line that is hard to resist.
To prove this, try sit with young people who are already making a killing from agriculture. Their gusto for the trade will make you want to quit your job and get your hands dirty too. These digital farmers will give you the figures they make and you will want to pack your bags and head back to the village to farm. However, you will make sure you have access to the internet so that you can keep up with the latest research and trends.
This happened to me last year as I interviewed at least 10 young farmers and attended a few conferences. I so badly wanted to forfeit my career and become a farmer. I could not resist the sweet tales and tidy returns that were coming from Mother Nature. I mean, how hard would it be to pick up a jembe to make three hundred thousand a month?
Luckily, I didn’t have the required money to invest and that held me back. I was so determined that without land nor prior experience I was ready to get started. I say I was lucky because I was not prepared for the dirty side of agriculture. I only had three months experience of writing and colouring other people’s success in agribusiness. That does not in any way make me an agribusiness pundit.
This situation got me thinking that perhaps before investing your hard earned cash in agribusiness, you should take a breather and ask yourself whether you are cut out for agriculture. Talk to someone who is in agribusiness. Ask them how they got there. Find out what time they get up and what time they get to sleep. Find out how many times they got disappointed by a failing crop or dying animals before hitting the jack pot. Find out what keeps them going despite their produce being a glut on the market, or a drug on the market.

10 things to consider
Here are ten things that you need to think about before ditching that job to get into agribusiness:
1.       Passion for agriculture
Before entertaining the thought of diving into agriculture, ask yourself if you have any interest whatsoever in agriculture? The returns might sound enticing but are you the kind of person who likes plants or animals and taking care of them? Have you previously done anything to do with agriculture? Do you even have a kitchen garden? If you hate the thought of dirt on your hands, then agribusiness is not for you.
2.       Identify your area of interest
After assuring yourself that indeed agriculture is one of your passions, then start analyzing what area to focus on. You cannot excel in agribusiness if you are a jack of all trades. Pick one area and focus on it. If chicken farming is your thing then pursue it entirely.
3.       Do your research
After clearly defining your area of interest, get information about it. You will require technical knowledge about that crop or livestock you have narrowed down to. You need to know the best practice(s) that will yield best results. Identify the opportunities available in your chosen field. Find out how you can strategically add value to what exists to gain an advantage over your competitors.
4.       Planning
Getting into agribusiness without a business plan is like shooting your foot and later wondering why you cannot walk. Have a clear business plan and assess the risks of your business. Agribusiness has money making in it. You therefore have to treat it like any other business. Dry run planning will reduce the possibility of your venture failing.
In addition, consider all the requirements necessary to start off your business. Do you have land? If you don’t, how do you intend to acquire one? How much will it cost? How far is the land from your nearest selling point? What will be your means of transport and how much does it cost?
5.       Start with the end in mind
Market is the end in business. The primary goal of getting into agribusiness is to make profit. Before you get into any form of agribusiness, find out if there is a market for your product and seek a thorough understanding of that market. This saves you the hassle of having a product and no market for it in the long run.
6.       Have some savings
To set up a business you need money. To get into agribusiness will also require you to invest generously before you start reaping anything. My advice is that you stay clear of loans if you can and invest your savings instead. Agribusiness is risky for a starter. You are safer investing your savings than investing money that you do not have, a.k.a loans.
7.       Do not invest all your life savings
Since you are taking a risk by investing in agribusiness, you should have some money put aside in case things do not work out as planned.
8.       Network
Get to know people. Make friends in the agribusiness sector both online and offline; this way you will have people to share your experience with and to learn from. Join farmer groups on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus. Contribute to agricultural discussions online. 
Most importantly, cultivate healthy relationships with your suppliers and customers.
9.       Commitment
Agribusiness is just like any other business; it has its fair share of risks. In fact, I would rate it as a high risk business. You need a neat mix of tough skin and passion to survive. Numerous challenges will come your way and you have to be committed to the venture to get back on your feet every so often. Your entire crop might dry up due to a strange disease and there will be little that you can do. Your commitment to that business will drive you to continue despite such painful disappointments.
10.   Have options
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. This is one of my favourite aphorisms because it’s true! If after three years you realize that you have not made any profit in your agribusiness venture, then perhaps it’s time to pitch tent elsewhere. Keep an open mind and be ready to exit when the time comes.

Happy 2014 people! I wish you the best in your agribusiness venture.


22 comments:

  1. Good piece though quitters never win. What you need there(10) change of strategy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divine Loan Opportunity Offered By CHESTER BRIAN LOANS That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {Brianloancompany@yahoo.com}

      Hello Everyone, I am Rosie Rhoma a single mom from Texas USA, I will like to share this great testimony on how i got a loan from Chester Brian Loans, when we were driven out of our home when i couldn't pay my bills anymore, After been scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union i visited. my children were taken by the foster care, i was all alone in the street. Until a day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first i told her that i am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that i will received my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness i had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me i received a loan of $80,000.00 from Chester Brian Loans. Am happy i took the risk and applied for the loan. my kids have been given back to me and now i own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to CHESTER BRIAN LOAN COMPANY for giving a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: {Brianloancompany@yahoo.com} OR text +1(803) 373-2162

      Delete
    2. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM UPSTOX FUNDING INC.{ upstoxfunding@yahoo.com }

      I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Upstoxfunding INC after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about: ( upstoxfunding@yahoo.com ) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of Upstoxfunding at a very low interest rate of 2% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text (302) 273-5794.That day was theI'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $124,000Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: upstoxfunding@yahoo.com OR call or text their helpline: (302) 273-5794. Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Wendy Ryan from Arizona, United States.


      Delete
  2. Change of strategy works as well. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM UPSTOX FUNDING INC.{ upstoxfunding@yahoo.com }

      I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Upstoxfunding INC after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about: ( upstoxfunding@yahoo.com ) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of Upstoxfunding at a very low interest rate of 2% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text (302) 273-5794.That day was theI'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $124,000Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: upstoxfunding@yahoo.com OR call or text their helpline: (302) 273-5794. Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Wendy Ryan from Arizona, United States.


      Delete
  3. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us Now:majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why don't more blacks pursue entrepreneurship?
    healthwealthwisdom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Homerange Poultry kenya!

    0727 200 116 | 0714 571 058 | www.homerangepoultry.com

    We are the home of the KARI improved kienyeji chicken. Having been established in 2012, we have continued to connect farmers with quality chicks and further building their capacities though kienyeji chicken farming training and support to enable them achieve success in their poultry farming venture. We specialize in the sale of the KARI Improved kienyeji chicken.

    Kari Improved kienyeji chicken | kari kienyeji chicken | poultry farming training | Kari Improved Kienyeji Chicken Comprehensive Rearing Guide |

    Day old Chicks @ Kshs. 120
    Month old chicks @ Kshs. 300
    Breeding Cock @ Kshs. 1000
    Breeding Hen @ Kshs. 1500
    Kari improved kienyeji fertilised eggs @ Kshs. 1000 per tray

    www.homerangepoultry.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this post will be a fine read for my blog readers too, could you please allow me to post a link to my blog. I am sure my guests will find that very useful.
    non profits

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, U write some extraordinarily attractive blogs. I always check back here frequently to see if you have updated
    Crowd Funding

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ....You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post.
    million dollar business

    ReplyDelete
  9. your article is contain off interesting information. nice job.
    Official site

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do You Need A Business Loan,Or A Personal Loan,At 1.0% If Yes? Name,Amount,Country,Loan Durations,Phone Mobile:Please, Interested applicants should Contact us via email: PergoCF@gmail.com , ( PergoCF@qualityservice.com ) , PergoCF@cheerful.com
    Do You Need A Personal Loan Or Business Loans? If Yes Email: Your Name:Amount needed:Duration:Country:Mobile:Contact Us Via Email: PergoCF@qualityservice.com

    Do you need Financial Assistance?
    Do you seek funds to pay off credits and debts?
    We give out loan with an Interest rate of 1.00%

    Please, contact us for more information: PergoCF@gmail.com , ( PergoCF@qualityservice.com ) , PergoCF@cheerful.com
    Interested applicants should Contact us via email: PergoCF@cheerful.com
    Kindly write us back with the loan information;
    - Complete Name:
    - Loan amount needed:
    - Loan Duration:
    - Purpose of loan:
    - City / Country:
    - Telephone:
    - How Did You Hear About Us:

    Please, contact us for more information: PergoCF@qualityservice.com
    Interested applicants should Contact us via email: PergoCF@cheerful.com
    Yours Sincerely,
    Mrs. Ceren Kelly
    PergoCF@qualityservice.com
    PergoCF@gmail.com
    PergoCF@cheerful.com
    We look forward to hear from you ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TRUSTED LENDER (LEXIELOANCOMPANY@YAHOO.COM)
    My name is Michael Lee a citizen of Illinois, USA. i have been scammed by 7 different Internet international lender, they all promise to give me a loan after making me pay several fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total of 23930USD. One day as i was browsing through the internet with tears on my eye i came across a testimony of man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called MARTINEZ LEXIE LOAN COMPANY where he finally got his loan, so i decided to contact the same loan company and then told them my story on how i have been scammed by 7 different lenders who did nothing but to course me more pain. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them. I filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my greatest surprise my loan was granted to me without further delay and here i am today happy because Martinez Lexie Loan Company HAS GIVEN ME A REASON TO LIVE, so i made a vow to my self that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan. You are to contact this GODSENT LENDER via Email: Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com OR Text +18168926958

    ReplyDelete
  12. DO YOU NEED A URGENT LOAN BUSINESS LOAN TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM EMAIL US NOW

    QUICK LOAN CONTACT US

    Are you in need of Urgent Loan Here all problem regarding Loan is solve between a short period of time with a low interest rate of 2% and duration more than 20 years what are you waiting for apply now and solve your problem or start a business with Loan paying of various bills I think you have come to the right place just email us.

    housingfinance22@gmail.com
    Contact us on whatspp +447513195409
    Mr Osman Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Divine Loan Opportunity Offered By CHESTER BRIAN LOANS That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {Brianloancompany@yahoo.com}

    Hello Everyone, I am Rosie Rhoma a single mom from Texas USA, I will like to share this great testimony on how i got a loan from Chester Brian Loans, when we were driven out of our home when i couldn't pay my bills anymore, After been scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union i visited. my children were taken by the foster care, i was all alone in the street. Until a day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first i told her that i am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that i will received my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness i had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me i received a loan of $80,000.00 from Chester Brian Loans. Am happy i took the risk and applied for the loan. my kids have been given back to me and now i own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to CHESTER BRIAN LOAN COMPANY for giving a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: {Brianloancompany@yahoo.com} OR text +1(803) 373-2162

    ReplyDelete
  14. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  15. APPLY TODAY FOR QUICK, AFFORDABLE AND RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/REAL ESTATES/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN OFFER WITHOUT COST/STRESS CONTACT US VIA Call/Text +1(415)630-7138 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    We are authorized financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home, personal and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $650,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 35 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? If Yes worry no more for we are out here to help the less financial privileges get the loan they need to get back on their feet no matter your credit score, you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties. Contact us on the following Call/Text +1(415)630-7138 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Do you need money to invest in any specialty that will benefit you? BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE aims is to provide excellent professional financial services which include the followings
    *1* Personal loan
    *2* Business loan
    *3* Home loan
    *4* Farm Loan
    *5* Education loan
    *6* Debt consolidation loan
    *7* Truck Loan
    *8* Car Loan
    *9* Eviction Loan
    *10* Equipment Loan
    *11* Hotels Loan
    *12* Refinancing Loan and many more

    NOTE: GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  16. The Loan Fund worked extensively with me to help me anticipate some of the issues that my business may face. Not many lenders would go to that length. They’ve been extremely supportive and a great resource.
    Working with Mr Pedro helped me develop my business plan, ideas and brand before getting started, so I was prepared to open a successful business when I received my loan from Mr Pedro, a loan officer with a huge heart of honesty.
    Contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I-C-Q--(748957107)
    T-G--(@James307)
    SKYPE--(@Darkiris)
    Reddit--(Hawksquad007)
    G-MAIL--(Hawksquad991@.....)
    _______________


    US-A S-SN F-ULLZ WITH ALL PERSONAL DATA+DL NUMBER (f-reshly s-pammed 2022)
    VALID TO-OLS & TUT-ORIALS

    -F-ULLZ FOR P-U-A & S-B-A

    -F-ULLZ FOR T-AX RE-FUND

    -F-UL-ZZ/D-ATA-BASE VEHICLES

    -M-AILER/S-ENDER

    -R-DP'S & S-MTP'S

    -C-PA-NEL / S-HE-LL'S

    -E-MAIL LEA-DS

    -D-U-M-PS + P-I-N-S

    -PHONE NUMBER L-EADS

    -T-OO-LS A-vailable

    -S-SN P-ROS (700+ CS)

    *F-ullz/l-ead with D-L n-um + E-XPIRY DATE

    *F-ullz with Good c-redit score(Any s-tate)

    *S-SN+D-OB

    *Premium i-nfo

    *E-I-N P-I-N L-EA-DS

    -In-valid or Wrong f-ullz can be replaced
    -Free s-amples can be provided only for big Deals
    -Can get specific s-tate,zip code,age etc...
    -Payment method C-rypto,PM,Pay-pal

    ReplyDelete