Tuesday 15 October 2013

Rearing Quails for Health and Wealth


Four weeks old quail
Quails are currently the hottest birds in the world of poultry. Their demand is insatiable. Anyone who is cautious about their health is rushing for quail eggs. I even heard my pastor last Sunday saying quail eggs will be the topic of discussion during the church health week. Quail meat is low on cholesterol high in protein and sweeter than chicken meat. People fighting and managing chronic diseases such as diabetes and cancer are frantically hunting down quail farmers for these game birds and their eggs. Quails seem to be the new found elixir to life’s problems. To agripreneurs, quail rearing is the new irresistible venture that guarantees high returns for minimal effort.

Patrick Muya at his quail cage
Patrick Muya, a 27 year old farmer based in Karatina identified quail farming as a lucrative business to venture into. He loves farming and wanted to set up a business in this field, one that his peers often shy away from, some three months ago. He quit his job at a large farm in Gatundu and decided to get into agribusiness.  Patrick first sought for information on the most profitable business to set up and he narrowed down to two options: dairy farming and poultry farming.  
“I have a strong passion for dairy farming but my key interest was to make a living out of the business I was setting up. Dairy farming requires lots of initial capital and the returns are not very encouraging. Milk in this region (Karatina) goes for Kshs. 25 per liter. I therefore opted for quail farming,” says Patrick.
Minimal Initial Capital
Quail farming requires little initial capital to start off. Patrick started by putting up a structure for the quails. He built a structure that can accommodate at least 300 quails. Quails require minimal floor space to rear. Quail cages should be arm length to allow for easy collection of eggs. Quails require ample lighting and heat for growth and for laying eggs. A structure for housing quails should have ample lighting during the day and at night.
Adequate lighting is necessary for growth and productivity of quails
Patrick's quail cage can accommodate 300 quails
After setting up the structure, Patrick then applied for a license from Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS). Upon approval of his structure, he acquired an annually renewable license at a cost of Kshs. 500. Quails are considered wild birds in Kenya. Anyone getting into this business must therefore acquire a license from KWS.

Patrick then bought 2 week old chicks from a licensed farmer. He had to wait for three months to receive his chicks from the breeder. He says there is a great demand for quails right from when they are hatched to when they mature. “I had to be patient and join a long queue of farmers who were waiting for chicks from the supplier. The demand for these birds is just too high,” observes Patrick.


Patrick’s chicks are now four weeks old. He has 100 birds a mixture of Japanese breed and the common quail. He hopes to start collecting eggs from his quails in the next two weeks. He already has a market in his home area. There are not many quail farmers in his neighborhood, and as such he has a great chance of preaching the benefits of quail eggs and meat to his local community. However before he sells to his neighbours, Patrick hopes to share the delicacy of quail eggs and meat with his family.
High Return on Investment
Return on investment for quails is high. These wild birds mature at an early age of six weeks; the average age at which they start laying eggs.  Each female quail lays one egg a day, a high productivity rate per quail. One  quail egg goes for Kshs. 30-50.  A mature quail bird of about six months can fetch Kshs. 800. Therefore, with 1000 quails and an egg production rate of 70% a farmer can make upto Kshs. 21000 per day assuming that all the 700 hundred eggs are for sale. In one month a quail farmer should recoup the initial investment and start enjoying profits.
Driven by Passion
Patrick says agriculture is his passion and he hopes to reap large from his new venture. “Quail farming is relatively new in Kenya. People are just learning about it. I think the business looks promising especially because there are so many health benefits involved. The only sad thing is that there are very few young people who have embraced quail farming,” he says.
Quit Complaining of Poor Pay
Patrick’s advice to young people who perpetually decry of poor paying jobs is to think of agriculture as a suitable career. He further advocates for young farmer to thoroughly research on their areas of interest. He tells me that all he knows about quails is from the internet. He documents each finding about quails in a note book purely dedicated to quail farming. His mobile phone is an asset to his business.
10 reasons why you should eat quail eggs
Quail eggs have been touted by researchers as a magic wand to numerous health problems. Here are ten of the best known health benefits of quail eggs.
Ø  Promising remedy for managing cancer, heart disease, diabetes and anemia
Ø  Non-invasive cure for kidney stones and ulcers.
Ø  Relief from inflammatory diseases
Ø  Natural anti-aging agent
Ø  Weight loss
Ø  Healthy hair
Ø  Glowing skin
Ø  Child brain development
Ø  Fetal development-good for pregnant women
Ø  Sexual potency

It is recommended to eat 2 quail eggs a day. They are rich in protein, Vitamin A, B2, B6, B12, D and E. Next time you eat an egg, it’s got to be a quail egg.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM UPSTOX FUNDING INC.{ upstoxfunding@yahoo.com }

      I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Upstoxfunding INC after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about: ( upstoxfunding@yahoo.com ) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of Upstoxfunding at a very low interest rate of 2% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text (302) 273-5794.That day was theI'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $124,000Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: upstoxfunding@yahoo.com OR call or text their helpline: (302) 273-5794. Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Wendy Ryan from Arizona, United States.


      Delete
  2. Agriculture is the backbone of the Kenyan economy. It is the option youth should take to solve unemployment issues. It is the only job that does not require any resume or CV. I would like all the youth to engage into agriculture. Catch up other opportunities and information on http://androidphonereviewz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Athuman. No CV required, just a heart for entrepreneurship and a hardworking spirit.

      Delete
  3. Tis gud thing you've written.
    Now if you could do a Documentary of the same twill be much easier.
    We dont read, sorry I mean I dn't read and most ppl wun't read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your remarks. A step at a time my friend.

      Delete
  4. Divine Loan Opportunity Offered By CHESTER BRIAN LOANS That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {Brianloancompany@yahoo.com}

    Hello Everyone, I am Rosie Rhoma a single mom from Texas USA, I will like to share this great testimony on how i got a loan from Chester Brian Loans, when we were driven out of our home when i couldn't pay my bills anymore, After been scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union i visited. my children were taken by the foster care, i was all alone in the street. Until a day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first i told her that i am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that i will received my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness i had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me i received a loan of $80,000.00 from Chester Brian Loans. Am happy i took the risk and applied for the loan. my kids have been given back to me and now i own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to CHESTER BRIAN LOAN COMPANY for giving a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: {Brianloancompany@yahoo.com} OR text +1(803) 373-2162

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM UPSTOX FUNDING INC.{ upstoxfunding@yahoo.com }

    I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Upstoxfunding INC after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about: ( upstoxfunding@yahoo.com ) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of Upstoxfunding at a very low interest rate of 2% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text (302) 273-5794.That day was theI'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $124,000Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: upstoxfunding@yahoo.com OR call or text their helpline: (302) 273-5794. Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Wendy Ryan from Arizona, United States.


    ReplyDelete
  6. GENUINE BANK GUARANTEE (BG) AND STANDBY LETTER OF CREDIT (SBLC) FOR BUY OR LEASE AT THE BEST AVAILABLE RATES
    We offer certified and verifiable financial bank instruments via Swift Transmission from a genuine provider capable
    of taking up time bound transactions.
    FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%
    FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded,
    loan financing by providing you with yearly.
    RWA ready to close leasing with any interested client in few banking days
    I will be glad to share with you our working procedures.
    Name : Thomas Wolfgang
    Email : inquiry.fastfunding@gmail.com
    Skype : inquiry.fastfunding@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete